You will support and lead a range of activities within the process development (PD) group at OXGENE primarily in the downstream processing (DSP) but will be expected to support other functions within the group and company as required. The PD group currently consists of Upstream (shake flask and bioreactor systems), and Downstream (filtration/purification) activities for viral vector production and scale up process, with a particular focus on Lentivirus, adenovirus and adeno-associated virus (AAV). The standard analytical techniques including qPCR, gel electrophoresis and ELISA are also often performed by scientists at all levels.
You will be responsible for executing experiments for both commercial project and internal platform development projects focusing on viral vector chromatography purification and ultrafiltration/diafiltration. The position will therefore involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation as well as producing high quality customer defined output are considered essential.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the expansion of the PD group at OXGENE. It’s an ideal role for individuals looking for further development and progression in biopharmaceutical production process and scale up, quality application, team and project management, as well as contributing to the ambitious goals within a rapidly growing company, while working toward the providing of life changing therapies to patients all over the world.
- Planning and conducting primary purification experiments as well as designing scale up/down and optimisation experiments that may include the use supporting statistical analysis for process design and optimisation (DOE, QbD).
- Working closely with internal and external stakeholders including project managers and external customers, to define project goals and deliverables, in line with planned project and company objectives and to meet sometimes ambitious timelines.
- Working closely with colleagues to define work objectives, and provide the key support functions required for lab day to day lab functions, including but not limited to experimentation, lab cleaning, stock revision, ordering, and updating of LIMS based records.
- Providing experimental results analysis and project summaries to the PD group and/or the rest of the company, ensuring effective communication.
- Following company’s quality management systems and contributing to its structure and development by reviewing and writing SOPs, training material(s) and producing high quality batch/experimental records and documentation.
- Ensuring smooth operation, communication and co-ordinating activities to maintain company’s position as a cutting edge and fully inclusive biopharmaceutical company and a market leader.
- Supporting other areas of PD and the wider company as the situation may require.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- MSc/BSc with laboratory experience within industry or PhD/DPhil in relevant discipline (e.g. biology. chemistry).
- Experience working with chromatography (AKTA systems or equivalent) and TFF systems for processing and purification of biologics, ideally viral vectors.
- Able to take responsibility for an experimental workflow and to coordinate staff and resources to facilitate project progression within the group.
- Excellent written and oral communication, fully competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications for preparing spreadsheets, reports, and other documentation. Able to present data in group meetings and communicate complex and technical ideas effectively.
- Attention to details, good time management, communication, teamwork and numeracy skills.
- Experience with accurate and diligent documentation of work, reagent preparation and sample tracking, preferably within an electronic system (ELN/LIMS).
- Understanding of biological systems, biochemical molecule interactions and biopharmaceutical production, preferably based on viral vector production. Upstream and analytical experience would be an advantage.
- Direct experience in handling viral vectors recovery and purification (Lentivirus, AAV and/or Adenovirus)
- Experience working in a biopharmaceutical research or manufacturing environment, Understanding of GMP regulations and QbD principles and guidelines for process development
- Advanced computing and/or data analysis skills (e.g. Design of Experiments, R, Advanced MS Excel skills, comparative statistics),
- Experience working within controlled quality management system (e.g. ISO 9001, GxP)
- Dedication, enthusiastic and ambitious approach to scientific research and biopharmaceutical production
OXGENE, a WuXi Advanced Therapies (WuXi ATU) company, develops pioneering technologies to accelerate the discovery and biomanufacture of cell and gene therapies. We recruit only the best from across the globe to join us on our mission. We are focussed on providing our employees with a rich and rewarding work life, developing their skills sets and supporting their own personal aspirations. Our discovery technologies help pioneers advance their CAR-T, CRISPR, capsid or promoter discovery programmes. Our biomanufacturing solutions further accelerate the development and scalable manufacture of lentiviral, AAV or adenoviral vector based therapeutics.
- 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 with service and 8 UK bank/public holidays per annual leave year and a day off on your birthday
- Pension with salary exchange and generous employer contribution
- Group life cover
- Employee assistance programme
- Private medical insurance with additional wellness benefits (as a benefit in kind)
- Group Income Protection
Notes to all applicants:
To apply please visit our website and complete our application form with a copy of your CV.
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we are not currently able to provide sponsorship under the Skilled Worker route for candidates.
Correspondence may go into your junk inbox so please keep an eye on this.