The Associate Scientist will carry out a range of activities to support the Process Development group at OXGENE. The PD group currently consists of Upstream (shake flask and bioreactor systems), and Downstream (filtration/purification) activities for viral vector production and scale up process, with a particular focus on Lentivirus, adenovirus and adeno-associated virus (AAV). The standard analytical techniques including qPCR, ELISA and infectious titre assays are also often performed by scientists at all levels
We are looking for someone to primarily support either Upstream Process Development with viral vector production at shake flask and bioreactor scale or Downstream Process Development with viral vector purification using chromatography and ultrafiltration, based on candidate’s experience and current demand within the group. This work would apply both to commercial projects and internal platform development. The role will also include support for lab maintenance and collaborative effort to improve a wide range of existing and new processes within the company.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the successful expansion of process development group at OXGENE. Significant training and support in multiple areas of biological production and characterisation will be provided. It’s an ideal role for individuals looking for development and progression in the domain of biopharmaceutical production process and scale-up, while contributing to ambitious goals within a growing company.
- Working closely with Scientist/Senior Scientist colleagues to define objectives, and key support required for lab functions.
- With guidance and under supervision, contributing to the design and execution of commercial and R&D experiments, and completing lab work to high standard. The exact nature of work would depend on candidate’s background and assignment within the team:
- Upstream production of viral vector material at shake flask and bioreactor scale; under supervision carry out optimization and scale up experiments.
- Processing and purification of viral vector material, including filtration, chromatography and formulation.
- Titration and quality analysis of viral vector material within planned timeframe of commercial projects and to support research experiments.
- Providing experimental results analysis and project summaries to direct manager and the rest of the group in an efficient manner.
- Complying with the company’s Quality Management Systems and contributing to improvements (e.g. writing SOPs).
- Maintaining laboratory cleanliness to OXGENE standards, ensure laboratory equipment maintenance, safe working practices and general housekeeping.
- Work within the team and contribute to smooth operations and communication; co-ordinate activities with colleagues and management.
- Presenting technical information, including analysis/results of experiments within the company
- Support other areas of Process Development as required with flexibility for additional training.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum BSc in relevant scientific discipline (biology, chemistry), with relevant laboratory experience (higher education qualifications with laboratory experience also considered).
- Ability to work in a laboratory independently and as part of a team on multiple projects, following established protocols, SOPs and safety procedures.
- Practical experience of some or all techniques used in biopharmaceutical industry (aseptic handling, mammalian cell culture (suspension and adherent), viral vector production, bioreactor setup-up and operation, Akta chromatography, filtration/ultrafiltration, qPCR, ELISA, flow cytometry).
- Attention to details, good time management, communication, teamwork and numeracy skills.
- Experience with accurate and diligent documentation of work, reagent preparation and sample tracking, preferably within an electronic system (ELN/LIMS).
- Basic proficiency in MS office package (Excel, Word). Intermediate or advanced proficiency advantageous.
- Understanding of biological systems and production, preferably based on viral vector production
- Experience in handling viral vectors (Lentivirus, AAV and/or Adenovirus)
- Experience working in a biopharmaceutical research or manufacturing environment
- Advanced computing and/or data analysis skills (e.g. Design of Experiments, R, Advanced MS Excel skills, comparative statistics)
- Experience working within controlled quality management system (e.g. ISO 9001, GxP)
- Dedication, enthusiastic and ambitious approach to scientific research and biopharmaceutical production
OXGENE, a WuXi Advanced Therapies (WuXi ATU) company, develops pioneering technologies to accelerate the discovery and biomanufacture of cell and gene therapies. We recruit only the best from across the globe to join us on our mission. We are focussed on providing our employees with a rich and rewarding work life, developing their skills sets and supporting their own personal aspirations. Our discovery technologies help pioneers advance their CAR-T, CRISPR, capsid or promoter discovery programmes. Our biomanufacturing solutions further accelerate the development and scalable manufacture of lentiviral, AAV or adenoviral vector based therapeutics.
- 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 with service and 8 UK bank/public holidays per annual leave year and a day off on your birthday
- Pension with salary exchange and generous employer contribution
- Group life cover
- Employee assistance programme
- Private medical insurance with additional wellness benefits (as a benefit in kind)
- Group Income Protection
Notes to all applicants:
To apply please visit our website and complete our application form with a copy of your CV.
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we are not currently able to provide sponsorship under the Skilled Worker route for candidates.
Correspondence may go into your junk inbox so please keep an eye on this.