We are looking for a Senior Scientist to be the be the technical lead for Analytical Sciences group. They will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, predominantly focused on establishing analytical processes and methodology for gene and cell therapy products.
The Analytical Sciences group takes the ownership of the standard analytical assay procedures, provides analytical services to commercial and major R&D projects across groups in OXGENE, provides trainings to other teams as requested and develops new analytical assays for gene and cell therapy products in line with the company’s overall objectives and strategies.
As the technical lead, you will act as the subject matter expert of analytics on gene and cell therapy products, and will focus on organisation and supervision of the day-to-day analytical services driving the development of new methodology for gene and cell therapy products as needed, and implementing continuous improvement for existing processes, aiming to ensure delivery of high standard analytical data efficiently, robustly and consistently across the company.
The role holder will line manage several junior team members, and will interact closely with other technical teams at OXGENE and WuXi ATU Analytics department.
- Be the subject matter expert in Analytical Sciences, lead development of analytical methods for commercial projects and internal platforms across multiple technology teams
- Ensure the standardization of analytical assay processes across the company
- Organise and supervise analysis of viral vector samples to a high standard to enable development of novel technologies and delivery of commercial goals
- Interact with WuXi ATU Analytics department to align existing analytical assay processes between sites and have major input on further development priorities for analytical capabilities at OXGENE
- Supervise and support junior team members, defining individual goals and deliverables, in line with OXGENE's objectives
- Contribute to scheduling, resourcing, and delivery of commercial projects, particularly in the area of material analysis.
- Review and author SOPs to expand existing knowledge base of analytical methods; work with other groups to ensure compliance and high standard of delivery for analytical work
- Draft patents, presentations, posters and papers
- Ensure efficient and accurate sample management; support implementation of ELN and LIMS systems
- Ensure high cleanliness standard and best practices in the laboratories and shared spaces
- Adhere strictly to established quality standards and procedures, essential for on-going activities
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- PhD or MSc. in relevant scientific field (biology, chemistry) with relevant laboratory experience, ideally in a commercial/industry setting
- Experience of analytical development in a commercial environment and within commercial objectives, and awareness of commercial implications of the R&D work
- Line management experience with training and supervision of junior staff as well as cross-group support
- Demonstrated experience with development and execution of analytical assays; practical experience of some or all techniques used in biopharmaceutical analysis (qPCR, ELISA, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, HPLC, NGS, cell-based assays). qPCR and cell transduction assays are likely to be of particular importance within the role.
- Ability to work in a laboratory independently and as part of a team on multiple projects, following established protocols, SOPs and safety procedures.
- Excellent attention to details, good time management, communication, teamwork and numeracy skills
- Ability to estimate time and resources necessary for a project and to carry out risk assessments
- Monitoring, evaluating and adapting projects as required
- An engineering mindset – good ability to utilize statistical approaches to optimize processes and procedures
- Experience with analytical assays in the setting of viral vector development or manufacture (ideally in a regulated environment)
- Process automation and assay development/execution using automated liquid handlers
- Experience with various assays: Western blotting (including use of capillary-based systems), HPLC for analysis of both proteins and viral vectors, DLS based applications for analysis of biological molecules and cell-based assays including transduction assays by FACS, integrated copy number and/or TCID50
- Use of sequencing platforms for qualitative and quantitative analysis of DNA constructs and viral particles
- Use of SPR or QCM techniques for measuring protein binding kinetics
- Experience working with ELN and LIMS systems
- Understanding of regulatory requirements on product quality for gene and cell therapy products
OXGENE, a WuXi Advanced Therapies (WuXi ATU) company, develops pioneering technologies to accelerate the discovery and biomanufacture of cell and gene therapies. We recruit only the best from across the globe to join us on our mission. We are focussed on providing our employees with a rich and rewarding work life, developing their skills sets and supporting their own personal aspirations. Our discovery technologies help pioneers advance their CAR-T, CRISPR, capsid or promoter discovery programmes. Our biomanufacturing solutions further accelerate the development and scalable manufacture of lentiviral, AAV or adenoviral vector based therapeutics.
- 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 with service and 8 UK bank/public holidays per annual leave year and a day off on your birthday
- Pension with salary exchange and generous employer contribution
- Group life cover
- Employee assistance programme
- Private medical insurance with additional wellness benefits (as a benefit in kind)
- Group Income Protection
Notes to all applicants:
To apply please visit our website and complete our application form with a copy of your CV.
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we are not currently able to provide sponsorship under the Skilled Worker route for candidates.
Correspondence may go into your junk inbox so please keep an eye on this.