We are looking for an Associate Scientist who will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, predominantly focused on carrying out various analytical assays for gene and cell therapy products.
The Associate Scientist will primarily focus on quantitative and qualitative analysis of viral vector samples from a variety of process stages as well as assay development and optimisation. The role would focus on supporting commercial projects with exposure to other areas of process development through R&D projects. You will also provide support for lab maintenance (cleaning and stock management), quality management (recording results and updating forms and SOPs), communication (summarising and presenting work). Depending on the candidates background the role may be tailored further towards supporting a wider variety of activities within upstream production and downstream purification.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the successful expansion of the novel platform developed at OXGENE, and significant training and support in multiple areas of biological production and characterisation will be provided.
- Work closely with Scientist/ Senior Scientist colleagues to define objectives, and key support required for lab functions
- Titration and quality analysis of viral vector material within planned timeframe of commercial projects
- Providing experimental results analysis and project summaries
- With guidance and under supervision, contributing to the design and execution of R&D experiments
- Complying with the company’s Quality Management Systems and contributing to improvements (e.g. writing SOPs)
- Maintaining laboratory cleanliness to OXGENE standards, ensure laboratory equipment maintenance, safe working practices and general housekeeping
- Work within the team and contribute to smooth operations and communication; co-ordinate activities with colleagues and management
- Presenting technical information, including analysis/results of experiments, to technical and non-technical audiences, both inside and outside the company
- Support other areas of Process Development as required with flexibility for additional training
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum BSc in relevant scientific discipline (biology, chemistry), with relevant laboratory experience (higher education qualifications with laboratory experience also considered)
- Ability to work in a laboratory independently and as part of a team on multiple projects, following established protocols, SOPs and safety procedures.
- Practical experience of some or all techniques used in biopharmaceutical analysis (aseptic handling, mammalian cell culture (suspension and adherent), qPCR, ELISA, flow cytometry, microscopy). qPCR and cell transduction assays are likely to be of particular importance within the role.
- Excellent attention to details, good time management, communication, teamwork and numeracy skills
- Experience with accurate and diligent documentation of work, reagent preparation and sample tracking, preferably within an electronic system (ELN/LIMS)
- Basic proficiency in MS office package (Excel, Word). Intermediate or advanced proficiency advantageous
- Understanding of biological systems and production, preferably based on viral vector production
- Experience in handling viral vectors (Lentivirus, AAV and/or Adenovirus)
- Experience working in a biopharmaceutical research or manufacturing environment
- Advanced computing and/or data analysis skills (e.g. Design of Experiments, R, Advanced MS Excel skills, comparative statistics)
- Experience working within controlled quality management system (e.g. ISO 9001, GxP)
- Dedication, enthusiastic and ambitious approach to scientific research and biopharmaceutical production
OXGENE, a WuXi Advanced Therapies (WuXi ATU) company, develops pioneering technologies to accelerate the discovery and biomanufacture of cell and gene therapies. We recruit only the best from across the globe to join us on our mission. We are focussed on providing our employees with a rich and rewarding work life, developing their skills sets and supporting their own personal aspirations. Our discovery technologies help pioneers advance their CAR-T, CRISPR, capsid or promoter discovery programmes. Our biomanufacturing solutions further accelerate the development and scalable manufacture of lentiviral, AAV or adenoviral vector based therapeutics.
- 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 with service and 8 UK bank/public holidays per annual leave year and a day off on your birthday
- Pension with salary exchange and generous employer contribution
- Group life cover
- Employee assistance programme
- Private medical insurance with additional wellness benefits (as a benefit in kind)
- Group Income Protection
Notes to all applicants:
To apply please visit our website and complete our application form with a copy of your CV.
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we are not currently able to provide sponsorship under the Skilled Worker route for candidates.
Correspondence may go into your junk inbox so please keep an eye on this.