The Bioinformatician will play a dynamic role in a range of commercial and R&D projects in the fields of gene therapy, antibody-based therapeutics and CRISPR / gene editing. You will contribute to the development and commercialisation of OXGENE technologies, advancing the delivery of our customers new therapeutics, by driving the discovery, development and manufacture of innovative cell and gene therapy solutions. Your primary role is researching and implementing bioinformatics pipelines, including those with machine learning. You will work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define and execute project goals and deliverables in line with planned project objectives.
We are looking for someone with experience in Bioinformatics through either their studies or work experience.
- Making recommendations for optimising procedures and processes, focusing on data integrity and accuracy
- Troubleshooting and analysing experimental results and using this analysis to make suitable recommendations
- Drafting patents with support from more experienced colleagues
- Recommending appropriate publications and co-writing of papers for submission to these publications
- Keeping up to date with relevant scientific literature and developments, appropriate to team projects and priorities
- Supervising less experienced members of the team and supporting their training and development
- MSc or PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Scientific Computing or relevant discipline
- Demonstrable experience of working with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data sets (e.g. fastq, bed)
- Demonstrable understanding of typical bioinformatics file types (e.g. fasta, sam, bam)
- Demonstrable experience with scripting languages, e.g. Python, R and/or Bash
- Experience in working with containerisation such as virtual env (Python), conda and/or bioconda (Python/R/Bash)
- Experience with or use of version control software such as github and/or bitbucket
- Experience working with Windows and Linux
- Demonstrable experience using the UCSC Genome Browser and interpreting human genomic data including analysis of epigenetic markers
- A track record of interaction with wet lab scientists
- High-level attention to detail
- Self-motivated; demonstrated success in delivering assigned tasks according to timelines
- Ability to think outside the box and problem-solve
- Experience in a commercial/industrial setting
- Experience in SOP writing
- Experience in using IDE (PyCharm – Python; RStudio - R)
- Experience with phylogenetic algorithms and proteomic analysis
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days of annual leave, rising to 30 days with service and a day off on your birthday
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension Scheme with up to 7% employer contribution
- Private medical insurance as a benefit in kind
- A friendly and flexible working environment
OXGENE redefines possible in mammalian cell engineering. Our technology platforms and expert solutions accelerate the discovery, development and manufacture of cell and gene therapies.
We address some of the most important and challenging questions in modern biology within gene therapy, antibody-based therapeutics and CRISPR / gene editing.
Our technologies enable precise and robust mammalian cell engineering. Our automation and informatics driven approaches mean we solve the problems that no-one else can to advance the delivery of new therapeutics.
Notes to all applicants
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Correspondence may go into your junk inbox so please keep an eye on this.
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.