OXGENE redefines possible in mammalian cell engineering. Our technology platforms and expert solutions accelerate the discovery, development and manufacture of cell and gene therapies.
We address some of the most important and challenging questions in modern biology within gene therapy, antibody-based therapeutics and CRISPR / gene editing.
Our technologies enable precise and robust mammalian cell engineering. Our automation and informatics driven approaches mean we solve the problems that no-one else can to advance the delivery of new therapeutics.
You will work closely with our General Counsel on all aspects of our legal services to both internal and external customers across our business. The ideal candidate will be a qualified solicitor with significant experience of contract drafting and negotiation (NDAs, MTAs, MSAs, IP licences, consultancy and reseller agreements, etc.) and intellectual property management. In addition, the candidate will display a willingness to turn a hand to other matters as and when they arise, including data protection and other regulatory work, corporate support and some HR support.
Experience of working for a fast moving biotechnology company and dealing with cross-border issues (including with the US and Asia) is desirable but not essential. The level of PQE is often difficult to determine so 3+ years is a good starting point with the usual caveat that PQE is a guide only; experience is better than years served.
You will need to be able to work closely with the General Counsel as there will be a period of acclimatisation needed to get up to speed. You will also need to be independently-minded and robust where necessary when dealing with internal and external clients.
This is a full time role but part-time hours/flexible working would be considered for the right candidate.
- Negotiating confidentiality agreements and other commercial contracts (including material transfer or evaluation agreements, master services agreements, licence agreements and statements of work)
- Advising commercial team and scientists on licensing of third party products and services plus review and negotiation of in-bound licensing agreements
- Patent and intellectual property portfolio management
- Working with the CEO and senior scientists on the identification and protection of new company intellectual property; liaising with external patent attorneys
- Assisting with trade secrets management
- Working with marketing on:
- co-branding opportunities with major customers (including drafting and implementing the necessary agreements)
- clearance of marketing and PR materials
- Assisting and advising on employment matters (including working with the HR Department on company policies and contracts and providing ad hoc advice where required
- Helping to ensure that the company is fully up-to-date with changes in key regulatory legislation that affect the business
- Other appropriate duties as required
- Relevant legal qualification such as Law degree and LPC and /or ILEX qualification
- PQE (3 years minimum), particularly in commercial and contract law
- Technical/scientific background (as a first degree and/or significant experience working in a technical/scientific field)
- Sound experience across multiple areas of law. Capable of analysing problems rigorously and from all angles, showing sound practical judgement as well as academic ability
- Ability to grasp quickly and accurately new and complex concepts and areas of law
- Proven track record of drafting and negotiating commercial agreements
- Ability to provide sound practical commercial advice, underpinned by the law but avoiding complex legal jargon
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team
- Ability to balance priorities and co-ordinate work effectively to meet deadlines and deal with high workloads
- Sound written and oral communication skills to give authoritative advice and influence colleagues and external stakeholders
- Patent and intellectual property management experience
- Ability to communicate legal matters and issues to other colleagues in a multi-cultural setting
- Experience of contracting with US and AsiaPac organisations
- Industry experience in a private sector organisation
- Biotechnology/pharmaceutical sector experience
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days of annual leave, rising to 30 days with service and a day off on your birthday
- Free tea and coffee
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension Scheme with up to 7% employer contribution
- Private medical insurance as a benefit in kind
- A friendly and flexible working environment
Notes to all applicants
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
Correspondence may go into your junk inbox so please keep an eye on this.
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.