Hours: Full Time, laboratory and office-based
Salary: £28,000 – £38,000 per annum, dependent on experience plus benefits
OXGENE redefines possible in mammalian cell engineering. Our technology platforms and expert solutions accelerate the discovery, development and manufacture of cell and gene therapies. We address some of the most important and challenging questions in modern biology within gene therapy, antibody-based therapeutics and CRISPR / gene editing.
Our technologies enable precise and robust mammalian cell engineering. Our automation and informatics driven approaches mean we solve the problems that no-one else can to advance the delivery of new therapeutics.
You will provide lentiviral vector manufacture and characterisation services to several on-going commercial programmes and collaborations. You will be expected to drive and lead specific projects and areas of research from the bench, while providing support and training to technicians working in the group. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line the planned project objectives
- Planning and scheduling routine Lentivirus experiments and manufacturing runs to meet challenging timelines in collaboration with other groups to ensure seamless handover to business partners.
- Oversee routine lentiviral plasmid transfection, cell maintenance, harvesting and concentration of lentiviral preparations from suspension and adherent cell culture.
- Titration of Lentiviral samples using a range of analytical techniques including qPCR and flow cytometry. Calculation of physical and infectious titre from raw data.
- To keep up-to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Provide project summaries and reporting, as required
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
- Support line manager with customer interactions, and in ensuring smooth running of the group.
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
- Provide accurate record keeping at all times
- Play a leading role in the routine manufacture of recombinant lentiviral vectors to support commercial gene therapy projects. Set an example to other colleagues, and to train junior staff in appropriate techniques
- Other appropriate duties as required.
- PhD/DPhil in relevant discipline, or MSc/BSc with significant experience
- Extensive track record of handling a range of adherent and suspension mammalian cell lines
- Able to take responsibility for an experimental workflow and coordinate staff and resources to facilitate a manufacturing process in a small team.
- Able to supervise the activities of junior staff members, set periodic objectives, and assist in recruitment; a team player who leads from the front.
- Excellent written and oral communication, fully competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications for preparing spreadsheets, reports, and other documentation. Able to present data in group meetings and communicate complex and technical ideas effectively.
- Experience working in a commercial/industry environment
- Knowledge and experience of viral vector engineering, production and characterisation, with a focus on Lentivirus
- Good experience with analytical techniques including flow cytometry and qPCR Specific experience in the manufacture of viral vectors
- Previous line-management experience
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days of annual leave, rising to 30 days with service and a day off on your birthday
- Free tea and coffee
- Pension Scheme with up to 7% employer contribution
- Private medical insurance as a benefit in kind
- A friendly and flexible working environment
Notes to all applicants
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.